Berry picking is one of our favorite summer activities. It’s relatively easy to plan, and a fun family activity. Plus there’s the added benefit of all the things you can make at home afterward!
In Connecticut, fruit is available to pick through-out the summer starting with Strawberries in mid June. Typical seasons for fruits are listed below, but please remember to check the farm’s website and even call before you go:
- Strawberries: June & Early July
- Blueberries: July & August
- Cherries: July
- Peaches: July – September
- Raspberries: July – September
- Pears: August – December
- Plums: August & September
Here are a few spots to head to this summer. Please call or visit websites of each before going as many farms have new procedures in place in order to allow visitors to safely pick during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Jones Family Farm, Shelton, CT: Pick your own strawberries and blueberries. Call (203) 929-8425to check details for the day. Strawberry harvest is in! This year, you can get fresh strawberries through curb-side pick-up or schedule a reservation for picking by visiting the website. Picking reservations are spread out through out the day in order to make sure people can social distance in the fields.
- Silverman’s Farm, Easton, CT 06612: This farm is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This summer you can pick blueberries, raspberries, and peaches, as well as shopping in the local farm store and visiting the animals. Please visit the website, or follow along on Social Media for updated guidelines and protocols.
- White Silo Farm and Winery, Sherman, CT: Pick your own raspberries and blackberries this summer at this farm in Sherman. Reopened on 6/13, please check back later in the summer for pick your own information.
- March Farm, Bethlehem, CT: Pick your own cherries, blueberries, or peaches this summer.
- Deeply Rooted Farms, Harwinton, CT: Pick your own strawberries. Please visit here to learn about their COVID-19 policies.
- Evergreen Berry Farm: Watertown, CT: Pick your own blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
- Ellsworth Hill Orchard: Sharon, CT: Pick your own strawberries, cherries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, and plums.
New Haven County:
- Bishop’s Orchards Guilford, CT: In addition to the market open year round, Bishop’s Orchards also offers PYO during the summer. At different points in the season, you can pick your own strawberries, blueberries, peaches, raspberries, and pears. Before heading out, please call 203 458-PICK.
- Rose’s Berry Farm, Glastonbury, CT: This farm offers strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry picking throughout the season.
- Lyman Orchard, Middlefield, CT: Visit the orchard this summer and pick from over 100 varieties of fruits. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines, and pears are all available throughout the summer. Call (860) 349-6015 to check conditions.
New London County:
- Scott’s Yankee Farmer, East Lyme, CT: Stop by Scott’s on your way up the CT coast and pick your own strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or peaches.