Beyond changing the way we are all living our lives, COVID-19 is also having some serious implications on organizations serving the community. Now nearly two weeks later, here is a list of those organizations with contact information and ways to help.
- F.A.I.T.H Food Pantry – Serving Newtown residents
- Open by appointment only on Tuesdays from 9:30AM – 11:30AM and Thursdays from 4PM – 6PM
- Drop off donation location is still available at Caraluzzi’s and is being check regularly.
- Please call 203-837-0816 or 203-426-5608 for more information
- United Way of Western CT serves asset limited, income constrained employed individuals in the greater Danbury, greater New Milford, and Stamford areas. You can donate by visiting here.
- Families eligible for free and reduced price meals are able to pick up meals at 7 sites. Locations and hours are listed here.
- Danbury Food Collaborative – Members of this collaborative include food pantries, meal programs, and delivery programs have implemented additional standards to protect volunteers, participants, and staff during this time. Please call ahead because hours may have changed.
- Hillside Food Outreach – Needs volunteer drivers to help deliver food to those who are isolated or quarantined in the Danbury area. Please call 203-702-4881 for more information.
- The Red Cross continues to have a need for blood donations. Donations are actually becoming critical due to the uncertainties of COVID-19 – many blood drives are being cancelled. Read more about the safety protocols for donation here.
- Upcoming Blood Drive dates are as follows:
- Thursday, March 26th – Heritage Hotel in Southbury
- Thursday, March 26th – Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Trumbull
- Friday, March 27th – New Fairfield Congregational Church, New Fairfield
- Friday, March 27th – Beacon Hill Evangelical Church, Monroe
- Tuesday, April 7 – Brookfield High School, Brookfield
- Friday, April 10 – Immanuel Lutheran Church, Danbury
- Search for blood drives by visiting the Red Cross’ website.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- There’s a shortage of personal protective equipment throughout our healthcare system. Last week, Governor Lamont and the Department of Health enacted a framework for donations of PPE. You can visit here for more information, including the form to fill out to make a donation. The items most in need:
- N95 Respirators
- Face Masks/Surgical Masks
- Face Shields
- Surgical Gowns
- Gloves (nitrile, or non-latex)
- Thermometer Covers (if applicable to type of thermometer)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Other Medical Items
- Nuvance Healthcare is accepting donations for the above, as well as any monetary donations. Please call Danbury Hospital at (203) 739-7227 or New Milford Hospital at (860) 210-5270 to speak to the Foundation office at either location.
- Hartford Healthcare/St. Vincent’s is accepting donations of the above. If you have anything to donate, please email COVIDDonations@HHCHealth.org
If you have extra diapers lying around your house or are able to pick up additional packages when you are in the store, Once Upon a Child in Danbury is continuing their diaper drive. All sizes are needed and can be opened, looses, or in bags/boxes. Please text 203-808-1014 to be added to the pick-up list.