We’ve almost made it to the final weekend before Christmas and if you’re like me you’ve finished your holiday shopping (obviously not complete without a few minor freak outs and mishaps) and are ready to fully embrace anything and everything Christmas. And with school breaks kicking in to full gear tomorrow afternoon, we’re all itching for fun things to do to keep our kiddos occupied and full of holiday cheer.
For this week’s Weekend Round-Up, I’ve broken activities up by themes as opposed to days.
Self Guided Holiday Light Tours
- Did you know that Newtown has a holiday decorating contest for residents? It’s run by a group of residents in town on Facebook and open to anyone who wants to participate. Last Sunday, a panel of judges visited all of the participating homes and award a variety of prizes like “Most Amazing”, “Most Delightful” and “Winter Wonderland”. For all the information, you can join the Facebook group here. You’ll find two different routes that will allow you to see over 20 homes! How cool is that? I’m hoping to take advantage of this unique tour tonight before the rain starts.
- If you feel like a short drive, check out Wonderland at Roseville over in Fairfield. The set up is made possible through the generosity of the homeowners and a group of their friends who love the holidays. You can also donate to Shriners Hospital for Children.
- If you feel like a longer drive, I keep hearing how amazing the lights are at Hubbard Park over in Meriden. Until 1/1/2019, the park runs the Festival of Silver Lights.
Extended Store Hours
Let’s face it – sometimes it’s nearly impossible for moms (or anyone for that matter) to accomplish all the holiday prep before Christmas Eve. I’ll be the first to admit that I’ll most likely be grocery shopping on Christmas Eve morning.
- Danbury Fair Mall – Opened through Christmas Eve. Hours differ by day. Click here for the details.
- Caraluzzi’s – Opened on Christmas Eve from 7AM to 6PM. Closed Christmas Day.
- Stew Leonard’s – Closed on Christmas Day.
- Big Y – Open until 6PM on Christmas Eve and closed Christmas Day.
Last chance to catch Santa before next year
Santa will still be at the Mall and Stew Leonards through the weekend. Here are the details on both:
- Danbury Fair Mall
- Stew Leonards
- Santa will be making a stop at Charter Oak Brewing Company in Danbury on Sunday. Details are here.
The 3rd Annual Santa Fun Run is happening in Sandy Hook & Newtown on Friday at 2PM. This event for adults encourages you to run dressed as your favorite holiday character and meet at Cover Two Sports Bar in Sandy Hook.
The Stony Hill Fire Department is holding their Winter Solstice Celebration on Friday from 4PM to 7PM. This annual fundraiser in Bethel offers tons of activities for kids to participate in.
On Saturday, over in Bridgewater, Trowbridge Ltd is holding their annual Holiday Open House. Learn about Arabian horses and what makes them so unique. Details are here.
On Saturday, Goatboy’s Soaps in New Milford is holding another one of their annual holiday open houses. Everyone is invited to come up, shop, and visit with the goats. Last chance to have Breakfast with Frosty at The Beardsley Zoo!
And don’t forget Main Street Adventures is having their grand opening party on Saturday! It’s a great day to stop in and check the place out.